Selasa, Oktober 28

where will I be in my career in the next ten years

I will be in the early thirties on ten years from now, but I honestly dont know where I will end up in my career in the next ten years. It always amazed me to see that I constantly change my answer to that question. I am still unsure where my career will lead me even after all these years in university. I have difficulty discovering a career field to devote my entire life to, a career field that worthy of my education. My plans for my career include many goals that I will have to accomplish, but only time will be able to reveal the truth in that. While many other students know exactly what field to enter after graduation and have been preparing for their future.

I keep questioning myself these questions; "why law?" or "what do you want to do with your law degree?" or "why do you want to be a lawyer?" or "why do you think that you're suited to a career in law?" Yes, it has some variations, but it is basically the same question. Some want the power, prestige and money they believe comes with a law degree. Some have no idea what they want to do. There are also some who find practicing law an exciting and rewarding career. For me, the decision to go to law school is not a career choice, but law is a field of study that offers a wide range of career options.

There is a big difference between wanting to study law and wanting a career in law. Sometimes I feel like I just want to do a degree in law without ever really wanting to work in the profession. But I must admit that studying law is fascinating. I often heard from my elders that the study of law would provide me with a host of career options aside from being a lawyer. I admit that I approach my study of law poorly. This is because of my attitude of treating my studies as a burden. Despite unable to take as much pleasure I would have apply myself fully, I hope to go on to bar and to qualify as an advocate and solicitor because I can see myself doing that in the future, because I think I can serve well in that profession.

Most people go to law school because they dont know what else to do. I am certainly one of those people. They are ambitious, smart and want to achieve success. However, they are not vocally talented but still go to law school without really thinking about what it means to be a lawyer and whether they will even like it. To me, being a lawyer is that there is always some other lawyers waiting to tear you down. There will always be lawyers to tell you just how crappy your argument is. Lawyers spend hours, days and weeks working on a case. There are no time outs for hobbies, illness, vacation, families or depression. I will make sure that my career as a lawyer should leave room for a family life as well. 

I know a lot of lawyers who are most of them are happy. In ten years from now, I know that I like my profession as a lawyer. Maybe I did not really know what I would do when I went to law school, but for some odd reason, I will be really exciting arguing or defending my clients. I know that I will be spending hours at work but I am confident that I will make it through. All I can do is my best. And from what I have seen, happy lawyers are the ones that do their very best and at peace with that.

However, I know that it is not an easy profession. I know that I will keep questioning myself; "are you sure you want to do this?" I will be a lawyer and I will argue for what is right and do what is right and use my analytical brain. But at the same time, I really do not see myself in a legal career for a long term. There will be restless nights sleep and feeling trapped in the career. Being a lawyer usually means fighting every day while you are on the job. The whole job is a fight. As a lawyer, you always representing someone else because that's what lawyers do. You dont decide to bring a case or decide to settle. You just do paperwork. And if you win, it is the client's win.

In ten years from now, I will be practicing from a law firm or maybe I am a partner in my own firm. I may be enjoy practicing law at the beginning of my career but at the same time I might as well find myself trapped working for a partner and find a way to leave the profession. Maybe after several years of working as a lawyer, I will be applying for teaching in a university. I may also applying for other professions and I know that would not be easy because of the qualification and academic requirement. And if I failed to leave my profession as a lawyer, I might as well just accept the fact that I am destined to stay in the profession. 

In my honest opinion, lawyer is the best job in the world. I get paid to read, write, think, talk and argue. These are the things I would do anyway. In ten years from now, I love being a lawyer because I can make a difference in someone's life. Once in a while, I get the opportunity to help someone who desperately needs my help. It is not just about doing job, but it is a thinking profession. I know that I love being a lawyer because I love protecting people in a court of law. I love the feeling of accomplishment I get from helping others fight - win or lose. 

Certain things about lawyering are intuitive to me. I like dressing up, I like writing and I like meeting new people. And most of all, I like helping people. However, in the endeavors to fight for a better working condition as a lawyer, I need to improve myself. It is at this point that my education becomes very important. This is because, in ten years of practice, nobody really cares where I am from or what I scored. Not even clients. Nobody is keen to hear how hard I studied, my hardship, what options I took, how well I did for them and so on. Because, when I get into the real world, it is more about what can I really do, not about the paper. 

I hope I have a better idea of what my future may entail and consider every point of view before making my final decision in planning my future.


*Sorry for my English. Sobs 



Tiada ulasan: